classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skin and sunscreen queries

tittu121
This post was updated on .
hi divya i wanna know i have heard many time our skin is most porus organ and whatever we applied on face direct go to our main blood stream either face wash either shaving cream either sunscreen and some resarch shows its be dangerous in this matter what is your opinion ? and another question is you may say me a encyclopedia of sunscreen but i never satisfied tell me if i am mistaking to appling or dermatologist says dont rub sunscreens a good sunscreen have a tendency to apply liberally not rubbing and than it goes on 10 to 15 minutes and disappear but my problem i dont wand shinny oily look for sunscreen you recommend sunprotek gel spf 30 i had tried but not working it gave me oilly look and my bright face is looking oilly and dull so what do i do ? my another question for you triethanlamine is not safe than why it uses in various skin products either sunscreen shaving cream ? sorry i have asked many questions for you i hope you would not be mind have a good day i am waiting
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: myth buster

DivaJournals
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Hi Tittu,

1)Skin is the largest organ of our body and it is not porous as you think.It is composed of multiple layer of tissues which protect the bones and organs.Most chemicals cannot penetrate through the skin and enter blood stream.That said there are some chemicals which can enter the blood stream.But our body has the mechanism to break down the chemical composition and safely eliminate from the body.There is no potential risks as such from most of the chemicals used in the cosmetics these days as they are also bound to certain regulations and norms.

Off late even the consumers are more aware about such chemicals like parabens,sodium laureth sulphate,phthalates,carcinogens etc and are opting for safer alternatives.Even brands like Bodyshop,Plum,Himalaya herbals,Khadi are also rectifying and making those necessary changes.

2)Coming to Sunprotek Gel Sunscreen,I normally suggest it to normal-dry skin types or acne prone folks who are on acne treatments.It is a moisturising sunscreen so it helps with dryness due to exfoliants.It might be bit oily for oily skin,specially in the summers.

In that case opt for matte sunscreens like Ansolar Gel Sunscreen,La Shield Sunscreen Gel SPF 30,Sunmate Gel Sunscreen or  Lotus Matte Gel SPF 50 or Lakme 9 to 5 Mattifying Sunscreen.

Matte sunscreens generally are oil-free sunscreens.If you still feel oily you can dust it off with a little talcum powder.It will also be a good idea to use glycolic acid face washes like Glogeous gel to control oiliness.

The right way of applying sunscreen is on cleansed face.Blend and massage lightly on to the skin 15-20minutes prior to stepping outside.After 3 hours one has to reapply sunscreen.Earlier if one sweats a lot or swims etc.

3)Coming to your last query,usage of Triethanolamine(TEA) in cosmetics.Triethanolamine is FDA approved ingredient which is used in cosmetics as buffering agent,preservatives,for masking fragrances.It is also a food additive.Studies have shown it is safe when used in small composition which is not more than 5% and when not combined with nitroso compounds.Here is a research paper which states the same.High doses of Triethanolamine is dangerous.

I have usually seen Triethanolamine at end of ingredient list,usually last 3-4 ingredients which means the composition is very small for it to cause any potential risk.Triethanolamine is usually found in rinse off products like cleansers,shaving gels etc where there is brief contact with the skin.When used in other products like eye shadows,foundation etc the concentration is less than 5%.

The reason why use such chemicals is because they are cheaper and safer alternatives are more expensive which means they will have to hike the price of the product which affects the sales in general.

Hope this answers your queries.
Reply | Threaded
|

lip balm safe or not

tittu121
In reply to this post by tittu121
hye divya i think u r confused why i am calling you divya so let me explain you have a wonderful website divajournals who help all skin related problems and of course you may dont charge any fees for your tremendous advise while a dermatologist fees in my city 500rs and just fed off they dont understand what type of product suits me they just prescribe those products which M.R given them thank to you for quick response from today i am your die hard fan and for me i always call you " DIVYA " not   priyanka i hope you would be dont mind and one more thing my english is not good so forgive me if i mistake i am tyapical indian guy who always talk in hindi u may say jabardast hindi and i am fist time write in english in your blog ya in college we have to write but that a other thing so thankyou " DIVYA " for inspire me to write a query and chance to ask a question and one more thing i have a get a tremendous platfrom to ask skin related issues so let be prepare i am a very good questioner and i have a problem until i didnt find my answer my resarch to find my answer is continouing so here is a question for you " every body now a days apply lip balm and i read you may advise aman to baby lips mango version write [see how i follow your blog] just joking   come to the point divya when we apply lip balm in or day or night or whenever my question is drink water and take meal while lip balm is in our lips so its dangerous or ? answer me and one more thing when we applied lip balm in night than after wake up we should remove llip balm first for drinking water or we may take direct water for today my question is complete i again thankyou for answer me for my previous questions and thankyou " DIVYA"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: lip balm safe or not

DivaJournals
Administrator
Hi Tittu,

Thank you for kind words about my blog.I am happy that you find it helpful.You can call me Divya if you feel no issues.People often confuse my blog name Diva Journals and some times call me Divya.Tittu you are welcome to post all your queries,precisely we have a forum for that purposes to help out each other.And as far as your message is conveyed,do not worry about grammar.Please feel comfortable

Coming to your query: The ingredients used in lip products are edible for obvious reasons because it can be ingested and enter blood stream.So lip balms are essentially moisturisers.You can compare ingredient of lip balm and facial moisturiser,they are different.Lip balms mainly consists of emollients like candelila waxes,oils like olive oil,coconut oil,castor oil,almond oil,glycerin,pertroleum jelly etc which are safe ingredients,edible and does not cause any harm when ingested.

On the other end one should avoid lip balms which contains parabens,BHT,phenols,lanolin as they should not be ingested.As far I know Oriflame lip balms contains parabens.Lotus does not disclose full ingredient list but I am guessing it has parabens too in their lip balms.

Lip balms can be applied during day or night and as and when you feel its required.Avoid the ingredients mentioned above and there is no harm if you ingest the lip balm or drink water or eat food after application.If you feel the need wipe off lip balm in the morning,just take a piece of tissue and wipe it off.